Studio view: 4 different expanded paintings that I’m working on right now for upcoming projects.
Means of Prodcution #5 (detail).
Part of the structure of the work is that it is a collaboration with Chris Rusak. We are working on our different parts without much discussion; he had originally described a shelf structure, but he may also be making smaller paintings that fit inside my book like form. In thinking about these options I started bringing the collage and pattern inside the aluminum in order to give my contribution a chance to stand up to a more object-oriented approach.
Waste not, want not…
While I’m variously collaging and stripping page fragments on and then from the aluminum support of The Capital, I’m also reorganizing the scraps onto postcards to see if the detritus will make a suitable beginning for new Postcard Constructions. They also serve as small studies for integrating painted elements with the collage pages.
Means of Production # 2.
This is the next stage of The Capital, a collaborative work I’m making with Chris Rusak. My previous abstract paintings were often densely layered and it was often suggested that I should document the different stages of works in progress. While this is generally not warranted with the ‘Specific Objects’ I have been working on recently, I will continue to post ‘Means of Production’ images so that both Chris and the collector who the work is for can track its progress.
Here I have taped off stripes of the aluminum support and then collaged over that (both on the interior and exterior surface) with epoxy and and pages of a discarded German edition of Marx’s text. (Chris is using other parts of the same book for his part of the contribution.) The next step is to remove the painter’s tape, ripping through some of the collage elements in the process and then proceed from there.
PREPOSITION PAINTING. 2012. Oil and paintstick on 2 irregular aluminum panels. Each panel 35” x 20”, 35” x 43” overall.
This painting is also not quite finished. It is a study in using appropriated text to form the composition.
ASHES. Oil, on aluminum, pre-printed card stock, epoxy, paper towel, and glassine. 6” x 8”.
Not quite finished, but close. I started working on this piece after being given a paint sample card for the color used on the walls at Skydive Art Space, and trying to use it as a found object.